Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Introduction

One of the fondest memories I have growing up was playing with the big red quiet book my mother made for us kids. It would keep us quiet in church. It taught me how to tie a shoe. It helped me learn my numbers. And it was sturdy and strong, lasting through all 7 of us kids. And now the grand kids are the ones to enjoy.

Last year, while visiting my parents, my son Jimmy (who was 2 at the time) was enthralled with the book. I loved how it kept him so busy (and quiet) as he learned about so many different tasks- buttoning, zippering, matching, snapping, tieing, and more. Having so many brothers and sisters (all of whom adore this quiet book), I knew it was a fat chance it would get passed on down to me to use with my own kids, so I decided, I was going to make my own. I took pictures of each page of my mom's quiet book and then made patterns for cutting the felt. I mostly copied pages from my mom's book and added a few ideas of my own. I made it for fairly cheap in regards to all the supplies (and I have a ton of suggestions on how to do so).

It took quite a bit of time, but it was such an experience to make. I couldn't help but think as I was slaving over my sewing machine, ripping out seams and changing thread, "I wonder if this will be something my kids will try and mimic someday just as I am trying to mimic my own mother's book?" and "would these little buttons someday be fondled by my grand kids?"

My mom gave me a lot of great pointers as I created the book. She encouraged me to make sure each page was teaching something, and fostering imagination. I see some of the quiet books out there on the market and think they lack the whole learning/teaching factor. That is what keeps the child entertained- something that keeps their mind churning and learning.

I encourage everyone to make a book like this. And that is why I am sharing it with you all via this blog. I think I have something great to share- my mom's quiet book has lasted 35 years so far and is STILL in good functioning order, so if you put the time into this, you should have something that really lasts and will be worth so very much (in a sentimental way) to your kids and grandkids- more than you can imagine.

So have fun bouncing around this blog, leave me a comment or two and let me know your "quiet book story", and what great ideas you come up with.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. You can reach me at fowlerfam at gmail dot com. Happy quiet book making!!!

PS- as I get this blog up and running with pictures and instructions and all, you may notice it being under construction and only partly finished. Please feel free to follow this link to the quiet book page on my family blog in the mean time and see a few pictures there if you just can't wait:
http://fowlerfam.blogspot.com/2008/02/quiet-book.html

25 comments:

Ginny said...

Thank you for sharing your ideas on making a quiet book. I actually stumbled upon your blog entry through a google search of quiet books. After a hair pulling 3 hours at church yesterday my mind started working out how we could keep a 1 year old entertained through sacrament meeting. I look forward to the finished product (maybe not so much the labor in between, but it will be worth it!). Thanks again...
Ginny from Kansas

Hawaii Monkeys said...

this is a cute quiet book! it brings back memories, oh my gosh! thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the rest of the instructions! :)
Hawaiimonkeys...you know us!

MamaBear said...

This has been on my mind too! Someone told me to be brave and go to church without anything and teach your kids to listen! Yeah, not at this age!! THe learning concept is so important. I've been teaching spanish classes to 3-5 year olds and I totally lose the class when I don't have something that really makes their mind churn like you said. I hope I can find the time to make this. I bought one, but it's in the "to-be-fixed" box after a few minutes of play time!!

Betsy said...

Thanks for starting this blog. I have been meaning to make a quite book for my son for a while now and have never really known how to get started. I decided that it was time to start and am glad I found your blog. I look forward to reading all of your posts!

Natalie@Endless Crafting said...

Thank you so much for posting your ideas and instructions on here. I have been searching for a quiet book for some time now and this is exactly what I was looking for. I am so excited to get started!

The Brutsman Family said...

I found your blog through Tip Junkie this morning. I had never heard of a quiet book before, but I am so excited to make one! Thank you so much for sharing all the photos and instructions!!

Ivy Mae said...

I had never heard of a quiet book before, but I'm now a believer! My best friend and I are going to start books for our babies now so that by they get old enough they'll be ready. What a great blog!! I'm so excited to start mine!

Daniela said...

Thanks for all your tips! I've finally posted pictures of my version, still in the works but 10 pages done!

http://danidoodle.blogspot.com/2010/03/quiet-book-project.html

Melissa N. said...

I just happened on your blog, I was just had my first child and remember playing with a quiet book when I was a kid at my grandmother's house. I asked her about it and she lost trqack of it at some point since all of us were grown. Thanks for sharing your ideas, I look forward to making a quiet book for my children.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful site! Thanks for taking the time to share. Your step-by-step instructions, patterns, and photos are unmatched anywhere else.

nicki said...

I am so glad to have found your blog! I've been wanting to make quiet books, and just needed the ideas. I'll be studying all your pages and working on quiet books for my kids! I'm also going to link to you on my blog!

nonna said...

Just wanted to thank you for your quiet book site. I have serched all over the internet and yours is by far the easiest to understand and I love the fact that you included templates for some of the pages. Can't wait to get started.
Lina

karen said...

I have never left a comment on a blog before, but couldn't help but post. My son is 5 and almost too quiet for this, but it is such a BEAUTIFUL idea...he starts sitting in church with us in the Fall and I just might make him one in case! Beautiful site and instructions...
have you considered trying to get it published. I know it's hard to do, but what a lovely, beautiful idea to share with everyone. Thank you so much!

Nanny Dee said...

Thank you so much for sharing this book and how to make it! I love handmade items that can be passed down through the generations. :D

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! I remember one of my younger sisters having a Quiet Book and I was so jealous of her. Now I'm making one for my daughter and this has been really inspirational. I finished my first page today and linked your site to my Wordpress blog: http://joyelizabethlawrence.wordpress.com/

Rachat de credit said...

Thanks a lot it has been a good guide, now to make a quiet book is easy with your recommendation. Thanks

Corrina Dea said...

Thanks for posting all your ideas and links to other people's blog sites with Quiet Books. I started by making the "I Can Do It" book pattern but have been able to come up with some of my own designs, but I've loved looking at your blog to help get some more new ideas. I've made about 7 different quiet books myself and even though they are time intensive, I love making them for people to have for lifelong keepsakes!!! Thanks again for your site!

Mama Duck said...

thank you for this blog, was most helpful.
Here is my finished book:
http://sweetmamaduck.blogspot.com/2012/01/quiet-book-revealed.html

Liz Horton said...

I was reading your intro about sacrament meeting and thought "me too!!!" I'm so glad you posted all this and I can't wait to get started so I don't have to take my son out. Thanks!

Jenny and Keith said...

I borrowed a quiet book on Sunday from a friend and fell in love. My toddler was entertained and I actually got to listen to the lesson! Ever since, i've been obsessed with finding one. I found your blog on a search on Pinterest. I don't have a sewing machine, and wouldn't know how to use it even if I did. But I really want one of these? Do you sell them? I would seriously buy one from you. We are going on a trip soon and I would really love one of these!

Anonymous said...

My mom made us one when I was a child. Now I have children of my own and she isn't sure which cousin the one she made was passed down to or where it might be now. So, I am planning on making one for my own children 1 and 3. I am so glad I found your blog. Thanks.

growing5kids said...

Wow as if I didn't have enough projects. I am planning on making doll clothes and accessories for my daughters birthday. And now I want to make this for my son's birthday. I better get started on both. Thanks for sharing other people's ideas as well. This blog was an awesome find. Thanks for all of your hard work.

anorthowife said...

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'll be doing a Quiet Book with a group of friends and I've referred them to your blog. Thanks for keeping this up - it's a GREAT guide!

Anonymous said...

Do you pre-wash the muslin before you use it?

Fowler family said...

Yes, I did. Although I've known some people that haven't and it was fine. I don't think Muslin shrinks much at all. But I washed it just to be safe.